Wednesday, July 9, 2008

GRRRRRR..... Rant Ahead!

Okay, rant ahead... you've been warned!

What ever happened to common courtesy? Since when is it okay to sit behind someone in a drive thru and honk your horn at them then wave your arms around like they're somehow inconveniencing you?

I took the boys to Mickey D's today... cuz I had just had enough and didn't feel like cooking anything. We've ALL been there, don't even try to deny it. Anyway, I usually make the boys tell me what they want BEFORE we get to the order box... thingy... and today was no different. Even so, they still sometimes hem and haw as they try to decide if they want fries or apple dippers, juice or milk, but asking them early usually cuts down on the drive thru time.

Anyway, today they were actually pretty good about telling me, but 3 has a hard time deciding... no matter how much time I give him. LOL We hadn't been there more than a minute and I was finishing up the order when the mean little gnome in the car behind us started honking his horn and waving his arms around like we were taking HOURS instead of minutes. I ignored him and finished our order and pulled forward the whole SINGLE CAR LENGTH to wait for the two cars in front of us to finish paying and move forward. See, we weren't holding anyone up, but you couldn't have told HIM that.

That little man rode my bumper all the way through the drive thru! Then as I am getting the food, I double-check to make sure that everything is correct... I have had more than one child pitch a temper tantrum because someone gave them fries instead of apple dippers, yanno! I was in NO mood to deal with that today, so I took the extra ten seconds to peek into each bag and make sure there would be no more drama. AND HE HONKED AGAIN! The lady in the window looked at ME like I did it!

I said, "NOT me... the nasty little man in the car behind me!"

Then, she and her manager both proceeded to hang out the window and stare at him! I about bust a gut laughing. In my rearview mirror I could see him slump down in his seat and try to avoid their glares. As I drove away, all I could think was, "What ever happened to common courtesy?" It's not like I was taking an inordinate amount of time ordering and getting my food. I see it more and more all around me... people hanging out their windows screaming at people in the crosswalk to move faster, then speeding around them when they're not even fully clear of the crosswalk... kids pushing each other down to get to the front of a line that isn't really going anywhere but into the next room... ADULTS pushing each other down to be first... Where did this whole ME ME ME mentality come from? Can I dare to hope that I can teach my children manners and common courtesy when there are so many people out there who don't even bother saying please and thank you?

Okay, I'm done for now... LOL

*************************************************************************************

I am just exhausted today. Not sure if some of y'all know, but I have sleep "issues" and some nights I'm lucky to get 3 or 4 hours of sleep.

Last night was one of those nights... I was still up when Marianne got up on the East Coast. I swear I can see her flinch all the way over there when she gets up and sees that I'm still up.

I have sleeping pills I'm supposed to take, but after a few days they aren't as effective, and I have to just deal. I can go without but that means NO sleep... *sigh* Needless to say, I wish I had an alternative. Believe me, I've tried just about everything... melatonin, bananas, cutting caffeine completely, no excercise after a certain time, all sorts of herbal supplements and accupressure (not accupuncture... yet), meditation... just about anything that has been suggested.

Now, honestly, I've sort of gotten used to going with little to no sleep, but it does affect my personality (just ask my kids) when I've gone several days with only minimal sleep. I don't really know what to do about it... but maybe someone out there has an idea that I haven't tried... and that doesn't involve needles. (Sorry, Marianne... it's a bit of a phobia)

Anyone?

*************************************************************************************

Okee dokee on a lighter note... I thought I'd do a quiz! :-)




You Are a Chick Rocker!



You're living proof that chicks can rock

You're inspired by Joan Jett and the Donnas

And when you rock, you rock hard

(Plus, you get all the cute guy groupies you want!)



That was fun! And... it's true! LOL

*************************************************************************************

Last time's Kiddie Quote was entirely MY FAULT! I know... having boys has corrupted me beyond measure.

It started when I told 9 to butt out of a conversation between me and DH... my exact words were... "Back off, Nosey-Butt!" Which then led me to ask, "Hmm... what would the world be like if our noses were on our butts instead of our faces?"

*SIGH* Yes, I know, bad mommy! But, the conversation was quite fun. 9, me and DH all had a few ideas on what the world would be like:

"I'll bet people would wipe their butts a lot better!" - 9

"There'd be a lot less nose-piercings!" - 9 again

"Deodorant wouldn't be as important... at least on your underarms." - DH

Sorry... I don't have a new Kiddie Quote right now... I'm tired.

3 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

I agree with this on so many levels. General rudeness and our "me,me,me" society is everywhere.

My mom says it all started with the parents of the 50s wanting to give their kids all the things they didn't have (many of the parents had lived thru the depression).

Still, you'd think common courtesy would still live on. Don't we ALL want to be treated nicely?

Anonymous said...

Whenever we see stuff like what happened in the drive-through, it's time for a discussion with the kids about why we are NICE to people. And patient. They've come to the conclusion that People Like That must be angry a lot because no one wants to do anything for them because they're so RUDE.

Between the sense of entitlement and two generations of raising "victims" instead of citizens, it's led to some very bad behavior.

Noses on butts. You guys crack me up.

Briana said...

What do you mean it's not all about me? I totally understand. my favorite, or should i say least favorite, common courtesy is tailgaiting. I get so mad, and then the kids want to know why. Well sweeties, some A**hole is trying to merge with mommy's bumper, isn't that nice. We are a culture, generation of impatient people. Everything must be faster, faster, faster. Relax, it's not going anywhere, and if you're late, not my fault. You cause an accident and believe me I'll show tou some courtesy. hey, I'm ranting now.
And as to the kiddie quote, I always new that your kids were just like you, they sound just like you.