Thursday, April 24, 2008

I am so jealous!!!!

Have you ever been jealous? You know, not covetous but jealous, like you wish it were you but you're happy for the other person?

I have a few things I'm feeling a bit jealous about. Okay, the other day my friend Michele came back from vacation (the first thing I'm jealous of...) and promptly got signed up for high-speed Internet (the second thing I'm jealous of). *sigh* I haven't had a vacation, despite what my bosses think, in a long time because taking time off to have a baby is NOT a vacation! And, I would so love if my DH finally got on the danged ball and actually signed up for the high-speed Internet he's been "talking" about for the past four months. But, I love to see how Michele is so excited about her new capabilities, and she makes me giggle each time she figures something else out. I think I'm just as excited for her as she is for herself.

Then, my dear friend Marianne gets another contract for one of her books... and I'm jealous again, but in a great way. I'm incredibly happy for her and I can't wait to read this one. She says, "So when do I get to celebrate with you?" So, not so jealous as to begrudge someone their happiness, but wishful that it will happen to me soon. The good kind of jealous, the motivating kind where I can be happy and supportive of my friends while hoping the same will happen for me soon. Guess I need to keep on plugging away at my stories and get a move on so Marianne can celebrate with me one day!

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? It's not a bad thing, just a motivating thing... you know?

3 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

YES, I know how you feel. One of my favorite people in the world not only has an agent (!), but just rec'd a contract for her first book from Simon Schuster.

I'm thrilled for her, but sure wouldn't mind joining her in her success!

And... I see by your word count bars that you have one nearly done. Let me know when you need another set of eyeballs on it :-)

Anonymous said...

I've been envious, too. Not wanting to take away their happiness, but would like a little of my own.

Of course, one of my dear friends is now going through contract and agent hell, so while I'm glad she's had such a successful writing career thus far (and she's worked really hard for it), I'm also glad I DON'T have her problems right now.

So it goes both ways, I guess.

Anonymous said...

I do understand. I've gone through those feelings many times in my life. Especially since I began my writing career. But I've decided to just move on and try to better myself so that others can be jealous of me LOL